The Microsoft Windows Task Scheduler is a software program with Windows operating system that permits the execution of computer jobs whenever a predefined trigger occurs. For example, if you run batch files every week, the Task Scheduler can be setup to do it every week at the same time. You can run the program on daily, hourly, and monthly basis.
Steps to open Task Scheduler
1. Go to Control Panel
2. Open Administrative tools
3. Click on Task Scheduler
Steps to Create Basic Tasks in Windows
1. Create Basic Task: In this step you have to give the name and description of the task. You can create any type of task here to run automatically.
2. When do you want to start the task?
There are different options for tasks to run.
1. Daily: This task will recur every day at a specific time.
2. Weekly: The task will recur every week for specific days given in scheduler.
3. Monthly: There are different options in this trigger.
Select Start date and time–>
Select Month to recur->
Select dates to recur or
Select first or second or third or fourth or last->
4. One time: In one time the task will run only once.
5. When the computer starts: The task will run when the computer starts.
6. When I log on: The task will run when the user log in.
7. When a specific event is logged: The task will run when a specific task will log in.
Go to next
Here you can select the date and time with recur days to run automatically.
3. What action do you want the task to perform: Here we have to select a program to run automatically.
Go to next and select a program
Here we have to select a program to run automatically.
Here we have selected a program for import database.
This scheduler will run automatically on daily basis and import database to sql server automatically on a specific time.
4. Finish the setup: The setup is finished for scheduler.
5. Go to Task Schedular library: Here you will see all the task listing.
You can select any task and edit that task.
There are different tabs in Task Scheduler Library.
1. Create Basic task
2. Create Task
3. Import Task
4. Display all running Tasks
5. Disable all tasks history
6. This program will run automatically daily on 11 am.
7. Edit Scheduler: In this step you can edit the scheduler. Click on Edit.
There are different types of option in Trigger.
You can select daily, weekly or monthly option.
Advance Scheduler Setting:
1. Delay task for 30 sec, 1 minute, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 1 day
2. Repeat task for every 5 minute, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes or 1 Hour. For indefinitely, 15 minute, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 12 hours or 1 day.
3. Stop tasks if task run longer than 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 1 day or 3 days.
4. Expire the task on particular date and time.
5. Enabled or disabled the task.